UNDER 8's The Ravens & Reds



25th April 2004 WFL Under 8’s Friendly - Nascot Wood Ravens 2 Gadeside Hornets 1

Man of the Match: Matty Freeman


On a very warm and sunny Sunday morning the Ravens faced the Green Division 2003-2004 Champions, Gadeside Hornets, at a neutral venue in Oxhey


A very bright opening from the Ravens saw them exert sustained pressure on the opposition forcing a sequence of corners within the first 5 minutes.


Ravens first real opportunity came from a good piece of link-up play involving Nathan, Ben and Matty that saw Daniel’s effort go just wide.


Another attack swiftly followed and following a good piece of skill from Tom, Michael struck the ball firmly past the Gadeside keeper to put us ahead. Tom enjoying playing against his friends and schoolmates soon doubled the lead after Michael returned his earlier favour.


The Ravens with confidence visibly growing, again went close on a couple of occasions but just before the half time interval lost their concentration and that allowed Gadeside to reduce the deficit to a single goal.


Buoyed by their goal just before the break Gadeside started the second half the stronger and only some masterful defending from Matty, ably assisted by Jack Richards kept us ahead.


Gadeside’s only chance of the second half came from a swift break that saw Lewis pull off a fine save. The Ravens immediately responded with a powerful effort from Jack Burke that the Gadeside keeper did well to parry away.


Will then went close after a silky run that saw his shot flash across the face of the goal.


With only seconds remaining a fantastic header from Ben beat everybody and brush the outside of the post.


A very good performance that promises much for next season.


28th March 2004 WFL Under 8’s Red Division - Nascot Wood Ravens 1 Hadley Wood 3

Man of the Match: William Copley


Our return fixture against the team immediately above us saw NWR play some of their best football since the qualifying competition.


NWR were immediately on the ascendancy and some very slick passing from attacking players, led superbly by Will, saw numerous chances created for NWR. Ben was showing some lovely touches in the midfield and it was from one of these that Jack Burke slid in to score with a very fine effort to put us into the lead.


Tom and Michael both had good shots from outside the penalty area that shaved the outside of the same post and after receiving a pass from Matty, Will was tripped and NWR were awarded a penalty. Michael’s effort was well stopped by the goalie and this seemed to inspire Hadley who immediately responded with an attack that was well cleared by Jack Richards.


After the half-time change-around Hadley began to exert sustained pressure that led to 2 very quick goals for them and then left us chasing the game. Will never gave up and continued to press and went close after a fine solo effort that was deserving of an equaliser but Hadley’s  goalie saved well. Hadley then scored the final goal of the game just before the full time whistle to complete the scoring and leaving us all feeling frustrated as this was a game that we should have won.


21st March 2004 WFL Under 8’s Red Division - Hadley Wood 3 Nascot Wood Ravens 1

Man of the Match: Jack Richards


We were once again on our travels to play a previously postponed fixture in the picturesque surroundings of Hadley.


The boys although buoyant from the previous week’s long overdue victory made a very slow start which saw Hadley quickly take the lead and create some very good opportunities for themselves which Lewis did well to keep at bay. However, after a precise pass from Jack Burke, Tom beating the defender created himself an opportunity that the goalie did well to save. With confidence now growing NWR started to contest the match and went close on a couple of occasions with a good header from Matty and a shot from Michael. Although feeling unwell on his birthday, Jack Richards, was marshalling the defence well and NWR were unlucky to concede a second just before the break.


The second half saw us come out the stronger of the 2 teams and after a good shot from Will was blocked, NWR were awarded a corner and with memories still fresh in all our minds, Daniel promptly repeated his fantastic corner of the previous week to bring us back into the game.


Following a strong tackle from Nathan, Ben threaded a ball through to Tom who was unlucky to see his effort go just wide. With only a couple of minutes left NWR in their eagerness to gain parity left Jack Bristow exposed at the back, who although made a superb  first time stop could do nothing about the rebound that was followed up by a Hadley attacker.


A match that once again showed that the boys are in the right division but just need to improve on their levels of concentration.


14th March 2004 WFL Under 8’s Red Division - Harvesters North 2 Nascot Wood Ravens 3

Man of the Match: Lewis Cowper/Daniel Greig


This match took us back to St Albans, which had proved to be a happy hunting ground for us in the Qualifying Rounds, and it was to prove to be once again.


An extremely wet and miserable lunchtime in Smallford saw the boys who were slightly low on confidence take on the team who they had lost to narrowly pre the Xmas break. Harvesters with their confidence high began to force NWR onto the defensive and that meant that both Matty and Jack Richards had to be at their best to break up any of the oppositions attacks that were coming down the flanks.


The elements were making it difficult for the boys to take possession of the ball and a long punt by a Harvester'’ defender saw them take the lead. Although cold and wet the boys tried their hardest, Jack Burke and Ben combining well to give Michael a good opportunity that was parried by the goalie. Another long effort from Harvesters resulted in a goalmouth scramble that saw Harvesters go 2 up and so it remained until half time.


After the break and the elements with us, we were a team transformed. Will immediately taking charge and linking up cleverly with Tom to make the score 2-1. Now playing positive attacking football NWR were camped in Harvesters half, Lewis then played a superb ball through to Will 

who ran through to tuck the ball away in confident style and in doing so squared the match.


The boys now attacking us if their lives depended on it left themselves exposed at the back and with the Harvesters attacker clean through on goal, Jack Bristow, pulled off the save of our season, magnificently turning the ball away from a full blooded effort.


With full time fast approaching NWR launched a last gasp attack that led to us being awarded a corner and with the referee ready to blow for full time, Daniel took aim striking the ball superbly as we all watched in disbelief when it flew into the top-corner.


Seconds later the ref blew for full-time and amid great scenes of celebration the boys recorded their first win in the Red Division.


22/2/04 NWR Reds 10 Harvesters East 0


The Reds continue to fly this week with an excellent win at home to Harvesters. This followed last weeks brilliant away win at Everett (1-4).


14/12/03 WFL Under 8’s Red Division Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 3 Gadeside Gunners 7


Man of the Match: Jack Bristow 


NWR playing their first home match in the league welcomed Gadeside, another locally based team, in what proved to be an entertaining match for the parental spectators to watch.


The visitors began the stronger of the two teams and their early efforts were rewarded with two well-taken finishes that left NWR facing an uphill struggle. Much to the NWR boys’ credit, they continued to try and force their way back into the game and after a couple of half chances that William went close with, Gadeside, caught NWR out with a counter-attacking move that then put them 3 up. NWR responded immediately and Tom with a fine looping shot from the edge of the penalty area beat the keeper and made the score 3-1 at the interval.


Gadeside immediately added to their lead at the beginning of the second half catching NWR napping.  NWR then began to settle and after receiving a good pass from Ben, Michael cut in from the left-hand side to drill in a shot making the score 4-2. Gadeside then put together a good passing move that saw a very well struck shot clawed away magnificently by NWR’s goalie, Jack Bristow, Unfortunately, the ball landed at the feet of a Gadeside player who rolled the ball into the unguarded net. NWR inspired by their goalie’s efforts pushed forward and Michael this time coming in from the right side and after beating a couple of defenders struck the ball past the oncoming keeper to bring the score back to 5-3. NWR with confidence rising pressed in search of further goals but leaving themselves exposed at the back, conceded another couple of quick goals at the death and a scoreline that did not fully reflect how well NWR had played in spells during the match.


7/12/03 WFL Under 8’s Red Division Echoes Youth 3 Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 1         

 Man of the Match: Lewis Cowper


A bitterly cold morning took us on our travels to Hemel and a very strong start from the home team saw NWR immediately on the defensive and only 3 magnificent saves from our first half goalie, Lewis Cowper, kept the scores level. NWR fed off the confidence that Lewis was exuding and slowly started to find their way back into the match and began passing the ball around smoothly.


A wonderful counter-attacking move from NWR beginning at the back and involving some very deft passing resulted in a lovely pass from Michael that Tom raced onto and score from to put us 1 up. Echoes who were playing some very good football continued to press in search of an equaliser. However, some great covering tackles from Jack R, Jack B, Matty, Nathan and some more excellent goalkeeping, saw us hold onto our lead going into the break.


With confidence now high NWR started brightly, forcing a couple of very fine saves from the Echoes keeper early on. Unable to add to their lead, NWR lost their concentration for a brief moment and Echoes took their opportunity to square the match. NWR again went close to restoring their lead but with Echoes now pressing hard, NWR conceded 2 very quick goals within the last couple of minutes to lose a very well played match.


Once again, NWR boys continue to impress all involved and shall, when we start getting our share of the luck start picking up the points we deserve.


30/11/02 WFL Under 8’s Red Div Edmonton Rangers 1 Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 0         

Man of the Match


Our second match of the season took us to North London and matched us up against Edmonton Rangers.


Ina lively first half which saw both teams create chances, the highlight of which saw Tom and William combining to see Tom’s shot just pass wide of the post. Some strong tackling from the excellent Daniel, ably supported by Lewis, the Jack’s and Matty ensured it was the defences that came out on top and the sides going in level at half-time.


The second half again saw NWR start confidently and exert pressure on the opposition and win a succession of corners but was unable to turn these into goals.  Midway through the half, Edmonton, broke away and scored with their only shot on target throughout the match. Undeterred NWR continued to press and an extremely strong penalty claim by NWR; after Michael was dragged back when clean through, was ignored by the referee.


This was a match that the boys were very unlucky to lose but they should take great heart from a very good solid performance.


16/11/03 Hadley Rangers 6 - Nascot Wood Ravens 0

Man of the Match: Ben Fullylove for his solid second half performance.

A beautiful late autumn morning saw the U8's travel to Hadley Rangers for their first league encouter. After the initial confusion over car-parking the scene was set for an epic encounter, with Hadley keen to get back on track after defeat in their first game and the Ravens keen to get off to a good start.

Early pressure from Hadley led to a period of both teams feeling each other out until a fast break for the halfway line saw a neat side foot underneath an advancing Raven's keeper. The Ravens responded immediately with some good pressure but were caught out for a second. A couple of darting runs from Michael produced some chances and saw Tom unlucky not to score, pulling off a good save from the the HR goalie. Some defensive shoring up from Daniel and Jack Burke limited HR's chances for the rest of the first half but two late goals left us 4-0 down at the break. Both teams came out to keenly contest the second half, HR producing a good save from Jack Bristow and an early corner applied pressure to their defence. More solid defending limited HR's chances until a swift break from the half way line split the Raven's defence for number 5. A neatly worked free kick from Ben on the left saw Will unlucky not to score, then a high ball over our defence saw a well caught shot hammered in for number 6. A couple of short corners failed to produce a clear cut chance for the Ravens who never gave up with Will again unlucky not to score producing a diving save from their keeper. A sobering but valuable experience for the Ravens, who should take heart from the way that they kept their heads up and continued to attack right to the end.


Sunday 02 November 2003 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition

 Borehamwood Youth 0 NWR Ravens 7

Man of the Match

Jack Burke


A thoroughly wet and miserable Sunday morning saw us on our travels for the final qualifying match in the qualifying competition. The boys oblivious to the rain lashing down continued with their superb form from the earlier matches and were immediately in the ascendancy.


Following a fine run from Michael that began in his own half and finished with him passing to Daniel to score from 8 yards out with his left foot. The second goal quickly followed with Michael outpacing the defence to finish well after receiving an excellent through ball from Jack B.


Our third goal was from the move of the match. Each player contributed with good control and passing that saw Tom crack in a half volley to put us 3 up at the break.


After being dried off (!) the boys second half performance more than matched their first half efforts and they were quickly back into their stride. Once again good movement from all involved saw Matty score his first of the season; quickly followed by his second and then his third! – A well taken finish that was equalled by the team celebrations!


With the match approaching full time Tom completed the scoring with a neat finish following a clever dummy from Jack.


A very fine performance from all involved which more than made up for the fact that it was at least the second shower that we’d all had that morning!!


Sunday 26 October 2003 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition

 NWR Ravens 5 Everett Rovers Blue 0

Man of the Match (Shared)

Ben Fullylove

Tom Simmons


In their penultimate match of the Qualifying Competition NWR’s opposition was the previously unbeaten Everett Rovers Blue, who were directly below NWR in third place.


A closely contested opening saw both teams try to take control of the game but NWR slowly started to dominate the midfield and force Everett onto the back foot. The breakthrough for the first goal came after a good piece of teamwork that resulted in William scoring, following up a shot that had been blocked from Daniel. A very well worked corner between Daniel and Jack Burke matched this good piece of teamwork shortly after and saw Tom continue his impressive displays for the team with a composed finish from close in. Tom followed this up quickly after with another good finish to put the team 3 up at half- time.


The second half NWR continue where they had left off and exert pressure from the outset with some good runs from the full-backs Matty and Ben helping the team tighten their grip on the match. After a very good piece of play that involved the majority of the team Michael connected with the ball sweetly from inside of the box to put us 4 up. Michael then completed the scoring with a toe poke past the goalie following a goalmouth scramble.



Sunday 19 October 2003 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition


NWR Ravens 4 Bushey Hawk s 0


An impressive opening from NWR saw them take the lead within a minute of the match kicking off. A nice piece of individual skill in Bushey’s penalty area saw William score his first goal for the team.  


This was quickly followed by a good flowing move that resulted in Michael scoring from 5 yards out after receiving an excellent precision pass from Tom.


Tom then scored his third of the season with a very clinical finish to put us 3 up inside the first 10 minutes.


The rest of the half saw   NWR camped in the opposition’s half but some good defending and goalkeeping by the Bushey defence stopped NWR adding to their tally.


The second half saw NWR continued to press forward in search of more goals but it was Daniel, who with only a couple of minutes of the match left who completed the scoring; finishing with a good first time shot that left the Bushey keeper with no chance. 


Man of the Match

Daniel Greig

Sunday 12 October 2003 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition

Abbots Youth 2  Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 2

Man of the Match - Matty Freeman


Following on from last week’s impressive performance this was a match that placed the top two positioned teams in the Group against each other. 


An evenly contested opening saw Abbots take the lead on the 5-minute mark after NWR failed to clear the ball from their penalty area. This seemed to spark NWR into life and only some last ditch tackling from the Abbots defence kept them ahead. Following a well-worked corner between Tom and Daniel NWR were awarded a penalty for handball. Michael confidently struck the ball into the net to even the score.


The second half saw the debut of our new signing William Copley and it was after some good link-up up play that resulted in William threading the ball through for Michael to race through and place the ball beyond the reach of the Abbots goalie and put us 2-1 up. Abbots responded positively and began to exert sustained pressure on NWR’s defence and only some excellent covering tackles from Matty, Jack and Daniel and then a magnificent save from Jack Bristow kept our noses in front.


An unfortunate deflection then saw Abbots level and bring the scoring in a very evenly contested match to an end.



Sunday 5/10/03 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition


Harvesters East 0         Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 7


In a match dominated from the outset by NWR constant pressure was applied and only some heroic goalkeeping by the opposition kept the scores level for the first 10 minutes.


An excellent passage of play from NWR followed, resulting in Michael picking up the ball in NWR’s half and after a mazy run placed the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.


After the half-time break with confidence high, Michael scored his second of the match with a tidy finish from 6 yards out. Jack Burke then opened his account for the season with a good finish from inside the area. Michael completing his hatrick with another well taken finish quickly followed.


Leading by example, our captain, Daniel, then scored his first of the campaign after receiving an excellent defence splitting pass from Tom.


With 5 minutes left Jack Burke doubled his tally with a superb strike from 25 yards out that was still gathering speed when it hit the back of the net. Michael then completed the scoring, sliding in to score from a rebound.


This was an excellent all-round team performance

.Sunday 21 September 2003 Under 8’s Group B Qualifying Competition


Edson Youth 1  Nascot Wood Rangers Ravens 4


The 2003/4 season begun with high hopes for our developing 6 to 8 year old boys and our first qualifying game of the season took us to Edgware and saw us up against unknown opposition.


After a fairly even first 5 minutes the midfield led by our Captain, Daniel Greig, slowly started to take control. Constant pressure was exerted on the opposition’s goal for the next ten minutes, which resulted in NWR being awarded a free kick from 20 yards out. An excellent free kick from Matty Freeman, which the Edson keeper managed to parry away, was collected by Michael Porter, who coolly slotted in from 6 yards.


With confidence now sky-high and with a great deal of encouragement from the sidelines, NWR continued to press forward but a determined Edson launched a counter-attack and only a very fine save by our first half goalkeeper, Lewis Cowper, kept us ahead at the break.


The second half saw NWR carry on their fine first half display and after a good cross from the right by Jack Richards, Tom Simmons opened his account for the new season with a good finish after beating two defenders. Edson to their credit were still competing and only the bravery of our second half goalie, Jack Bristow, stopped a quick reply for the opposition.


Tom doubled his tally soon afterwards, following a fine flowing move that saw a thunderous effort from Jack Burke pushed away at full stretch by Edson’s goalie, Tom was the quickest to react and rolled the ball into the unguarded net. A deflected shot then saw Edson score a consolation. Undeterred by this NWR continued to press and Michael ensured the victory with a neat finish from 10 yards out after collecting a pass from Nathan Bayliss.


Man of the Match:

Michael Porter


About Us


We are in Qualifying Group B along with the following teams:


Abbotts Youth

Bushey Rangers Hawks

Edson Sports

Enfield Rangers Green

Everrett Blue

Harvesters East

Pinnacle Dons


We train Saturday mornings between 10:00 and 12:00 at Radlett Road Playing Fields.




Please E-mail any queries to support@nwrfc.com